No.3 Kanagawa station in Tokaido. "I sketch the 53 views in Tokaido, which Hiroshige drew”

"I sketch the 53 views in Tokaido, which Hiroshige drew”



Introduction
Do you know the 53 stations in Tokaido road? Tokaido road means Tokyo-Kyoto highway in Edo-period about 400 years ago. It was about 500km and it took two weeks on foot. There were mainly 53 stations. (It is difficult for me to explain it in English. If you want to know it, I recommend you search for it by google.)

Hiroshige Utagawa who is one of the famous Japanese painters in Edo-period drew views of the 53 stations about 200 years ago. He created woodcut prints called Ukiyo-e and published. It was very popular among ordinary people.

They were very beautiful and I was so impressed. I would like to see and sketch how this place is changed now. 


This is the third station, Kanagawa-jyuku. There is an old road about 10 minutes from JR Yokohama station. About 180 years ago, Hiroshige Utagawa drew restaurants in Daimachi. There were some restaurants along the steep slope. You could see the sea in restaurants. Nowadays, there is only one restaurant named Tanakaya. It seems to be popular to local people. They celebrated something in there during sketching.  





After that, I went to Minatomirai district, I sketched the Pukari-Sanbashi which are the passenger terminal. There is behind the Intercontinental hotel. I visited many times but I have never entered there. However, this house has a wonderful exterior.




That day, The Shinko pier was opened and the first ship, Diamond Princess was docked. A new cruise terminal named Yokohama Hammerhead was opened too. It was so crowded, I only see there from a distance.





Feel free to comment section below and
if you want to know more interesting post hit the “follow icon” or you can follow me at https://www.facebook.com/hiroyukicky

Thank you. Have a nice day! 

Comments

Please feel free to follow me if you like.

Popular Posts